From HISTORY OF ALLEN COUNTY, INDIANA, by Thomas B. Helms, with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers. Township histories compiled by L. H. Newton. Reprint of 1880 edition published by Kingman Bros., Chicago
WILLIAM T. HUNTER, ESQ. is of English parentage. England too is his own native land. He was born April 2, 1802, in the shire of Cumber-land. Emigrating to America in 1828, he landed in the city of Boston on August 12. Not yet content, the following summer he passed on to the city of New York, where, after remaining until autumn of 1832, he returned to England.
A few pleasant months rolled quickly by, and he was ready to re-embark for American shores. He reached New York during the spring of 1833, accompanied this time by a number of his fellow countrymen. After a sojourn of about one more year, he removed to Ann Arbor, Michigan, then quite a tiny village. Here residing about 2 years, he married MRS. JANE BUCKINGHAM, and then removed to St. Joseph County of the same State; this was in 1836. He here purchased land and began to clear and improve; but his stay in measure was only temporary, for in 1837, he removed to Allen County, Indiana, settling in Perry Township, near the present village of Huntertown. Another purchase of wild land was made, and again for a short time, he began the task of subduing the forest.
A little time, however, and he changed his vocation to that of hotel-keeping. At this too, he was successful, and yet his attention and interests were not exclusively given to private affairs. Being a resolute man and one deprecating villainy and wrong, he became an active member of the association termed the “Regulators”, during the days of that organization, whose purpose it was to rid Allen and adjoining counties of a troublesome band of horse thieves and counterfeiters. In this work he was very earnest, and did his full share in helping to bring to punishment these enemies of law and good society.
During the gold excitement of 1852, he went to California, where for 3 years he engaged at mining and other pursuits. On his return, he renewed the pursuit of agriculture, with which, up to the present, he has been more or less connected. He, likewise, has been identified with many enterprises conducive to building up and improving the village of which he is a resident.
MRS. HUNTER was the daughter of ROBERT AND MARGARET RANNEY, of Sheffield, Berkshire Co., Mass., and was born November 24, 1815. She emigrated with her parents to Monroe County, New York, in 1830. She was here married in 1833 to JOHN BUCKINGHAM, by whom she had one child; being left a widow by his death in 1835. Since becoming the consort of Mr. Hunter, they have been blessed with 7 children, 6 of them still survive, and are engaged at various pursuits. Mrs. Hunter, ever a sympathizing neighbor, is always ready to assist those in trouble or distress, even to the extent of much inconvenience and injustice to herself. She has proven a most exemplary wife and affectionate mother, whose ceaseless devotion and care seems never to weigh as a burden.
Mr. Hunter, ever conscientious and upright, is always willing to grant to others what he claims for himself – honesty of motive, in disagreements or differences of opinion. An obliging neighbor, a fond parent, and doting husband; with his venerable companion, they are greatly esteemed among their extended circle of friends and acquaintances.
From B. J. Griswold, THE PICTORIAL HISTORY OF FORT WAYNE, INDIANA, and THE STORY OF THE TOWNSHIPS OF ALLEN COUNTY, by Mrs. Samuel R. Taylor, Chicago, Robert O. Law Company, 1917
WILLIAM T. HUNTER, whose name is perpetuated in the one village of Perry township, was a native of Cumberland, England, who first came to America in 1828, and in 1837 settled in Perry, on the Lima Road. He began clearing a farm at the same time but con-ducted a tavern at his home. The site of Huntertown was a natural gathering place for settlers' homes, as it was the only spot not covered with forest. "The Opening" as it was called, was not made by the settlers, nor for them. However, they gladly availed themselves of it, setting up their temporary cabins and camps there while they cleared more permanent sites for home building.
WILLIAM TODD HUNTER, born April 9, 1802 in Cumberland, England (or April 2)
Died January 10, 1887
JANE RANNEY BUCKINGHAM, born Nov. 16, 1815 in Sheffield, Berkshire Co, MA
Died November 24, 1885
NANCY ELIZABETH HUNTER, 1849-1930
JOSEPH HUNTER, 1836
WILLIAM S. HUNTER, about 1839
MARY JANE HUNTER, about 1843-1925
SIDNEY HUNTER, 1840-1898
LEWIS CASS HUNTER, 1852
NANCY ELIZABETH HUNTER, born Jan. 22, 1849, died June 1, 1930
Married Nov. 27, 1878
AMOS FITCH, born June 11, 1849, died Nov. 9, 1835 in DeKalb Co., IN
GLADYS FITCH, born Oct. 15, 1881, died Oct. 30, 1962
ROLLAND H. FITCH, born Sept. 12, 1884, died June 3, 1959
Married MARGARET HELEN GUTERMUTH
MARIE ELAINE FITCH, born June 29, 1891, died Nov. 23, 1984
Married ARTHUR GIDEON HOUSER
MARGUERETTE LOUISE FITCH, born Jan. 28, 1894, died Nov. 20, 1984
Married HARRY EDWARD WERT
MARY JANE HUNTER, born about 1843, died 1925
FRANKLIN GREENWELL, born 1851, died 1925
LEWIS CASS HUNTER, born about 1852
CORA M. ANDREWS, born 1863, died 1932
The Hunter Home in Huntertown, Indiana
1850 Census of Perry Township, Allen Co., IN #2673-2685
Joseph Hunter 34 M Laborer born England
Harriet M. Hunter 28 F born NY
Mary Ann Hunter 8 F born IN
Ophulia Hunter 4 F born IN
Julia Vesiney 12 F born Canada
1850 Census of Perry Township, Allen Co., IN #2709-2721
William Hunter 49 M Farmer born England
Jane Hunter 35 F born MA
Joseph Hunter 14 M born MI
William S. Hunter 11 M born IN
Mary J. Hunter 7 F born IN
John K. Hunter 5 M born IN
Nancy E. Hunter 2 F born Ohio ?
HUNTER BURIALS AT PERRY TOWNSHIP CEMETERY, HUNTERTOWN, IN
HUNTER, CORA ANDREWS 1863-1932
HUNTER, HARRIET MELINDA Wife of Joseph
HUNTER, JANE Nov. 16, 1815-Nov. 24, 1885
Mass. 71Y 8D Wm. & Sidney
HUNTER, JOSEPH April 30, 1816 Cumberland, England
Dec. 7, 1872 Huntertown, IN
56Y 7M 7D wife, Harriet
HUNTER-BRIGHT, MARY 1842-1915 wife, Wm. J.
HUNTER-GREENWELL, MARY J. 1843-1925
HUNTER, SIDNEY 1840-1898 Wm. & Jane
HUNTER, WILLIAM T. April 9, 1802 England
1880 Census of Huntertown, Allen County, IN, page 192 A
William T. Hunter Married male, 78 born ENG Farmer
Both parents born in England
Jane Hunter wife female, 64 born MA Keeps house
Lewis Cass Hunter son, single male, 28 born IN Telegr. Oper.
Lila Seger female, 14 born IN Servant
Arthur Dorsen male, 72 born ENG Boarder
1880 Census of Huntertown, Allen County, IN, page 191 D
Joseph T. Hunter Married male, 43 born MI Carpenter
Both parents born England
Hala Hunter wife female, 36 born NY Keeps house
Cardie Hunter son, single male, 6 born IN
Guy Hunter son, single male, 1 born IN
1880 Census of Huntertown, Allen County, IN, page 191 D
William S. Hunter married male, 40 born IN Farmer
Both parents born England
Mary G. Hunter wife female, 38 born IN Keeps house
Zella J. Hunter dau. female 15 born IN At home
Byrl Hunter dau. female 5 born IN
Delilah Saylor single female, 21 born IN Servant
John Ranney single male, 40 born IN Farm laborer
William H. Jackson single male, 34 born NY Wind pump
John W. Lloyd single male, 26 born Ohio Dentist
Kent Wheelock single male, 23 born VT Physician
Fred Schoerpf single male, 37 Born GR Ag Agent
John Miller male, 27 born Ohio Ditcher
Horace Hurlbut married male, 50 born NY Lecturer
Alice Hurlbut married female, 34 born NY
John McCaul single male, 44 born MD Cooper
William H. Johnson single male, 27 born NY Farm laborer
It appears that William was running the hotel in Huntertown with all these guests.
HUNTER FAMILY Additions
There is some confusion on my part about two of the children of William Todd Hunter.
We have listed both WILLIAM S. HUNTER and SIDNEY HUNTER.
Then in the Hunter Family Tree given to the HHS at a later date, we find also WILLIAM CARR HUNTER, with a wife NORA.
The 1880 census shows WILLIAM S. HUNTER with wife MARY G., who is Mary Geraldine DeLong and she has been given to SIDNEY HUNTER, by the old genealogy. Also that same genealogy gives two children to Sidney and Mary, ZELLA and BERYL.
So do we have two Williams?? Or is William S., William Sidney or Sidney William??
WILLIAM CARR HUNTER seems to have different children, CLARA and GUY.
However in the older papers we have we find that Clara and Guy were the children of Joseph. Is William Carr Hunter a son of Joseph also?? Can anyone out there give us the straight of this family?
At the present, I am assuming that William S. Hunter is Sidney and that William Carr Hunter is another brother as they have different families.
Additions to the generations are:
The latest Hunter Family Tree information we have gives this interesting tale of the name HUNTER. It says that William’s “real name was Toddhunter and thinking it was too long, he had it changed legally to Todd Hunter. And that his brother was Joseph Hunter.
MELINDA (called Harriet Melinda on cem. records)
And they had 4 children:
MOLLIE, called “Big Mollie” (Mary Ann)
Mollie married a MR. BRIGHT and later a MR. WILSON
Child: ZULA or ZULINE BRIGHT
Zuline married a Mr. Armstrong, who had the Armstrong Mfg. Co. in Chicago and the manufactured badges, suits, uniforms, etc.
Ed and Willie lived in the Decatur area.
ORPHA married a DOUGLAS and they moved to California.
ZELLA IZORA HUNTER
ELMER LEWIS DUNTEN
BERNICE L. DUNTEN, remained unmarried
BERTHA BERYL DUNTEN, married MILO SLOFFER
GLENN OR GLENA DUNTEN, married MONROE SHROCK
DONALD LEWIS DUNTEN, married LYDIA MCCOMB
ELMER HUNTER DUNTEN, married BERNICE MANGUS
JEAN MILTON DUNTEN, married 1. MARGARET HABIG and
2. LUNETTA MCPHERSON
FREEDONNA MYRTH DUNTEN, married ALMON SMITH
WILLIAM T. HUNTER HOUSE
Huntertown, Perry Township, Allen County, Indiana
The first reference to the land where the Hunter house was eventually built appears on September 26, 1835, when JAMES THOMPSON bought 80 acres in Allen County, Indiana.
WILLIAM T. HUNTER came to the area in 1837, purchased land, and built a house which still stands at the end of Washington Street on Hunter.
The large square two-story house is partially Federal and partially early Colonial-Georgian in architectural influence. As one of the first homes among the log cabins, it must have been considered quite stately and elegant. Inside, each floor has six rooms of almost equal size. The interior is simple. Two of the exterior doors have oval shaped transoms. Some of the woodwork around the windows and doors is very plain and some has two or three levels of molding to add a little interest to the casing. There are no carvings or decorative elements of exception on the casings. The first floor mopboards are about 8 inches high with some molding of various levels. Upstairs the mopboards are plain and 4 to 5 inches high. The most decorative part of the interior of the house is the wood banister that stretches about 10 feet along the upstairs hallway. The stairs leading to the second story are narrower and the risers higher than most built today.
The original hardware is on the interior doors, with metal lock boxes mounted on each door. Many of the door knobs are round white porcelain while others have a tortoise shell look. French glass-paned doors separated the kitchen and formal dining room. Some of the woodwork has been painted over while the rest seems to be in its original state with painted-on graining.
The interior has 10 foot high ceilings. There is a very simple molding in some of the rooms that follows the top line of the window casings and goes completely around the room. It seems too high for picture molding. At one time there was a fireplace in the parlor, but it was removed some time ago.
The cellar was originally dug out under the kitchen area with stairs leading from a pantry-summer kitchen and also from the outside by wooden stairs from an attached storage area at the back of the house. A 12” x 12” beam runs the length of the center of the house and massive floor joists are evident, also. The original foundation is composed of various sized smooth rocks, probably gathered from a nearby creek.
The Hunter house has 6 exterior doors downstairs. A porch, which has since been removed, wrapped around three sides of the house. The windows on three sides of the house are essentially the same size with a definite vertical look. The lintel is decorated with carvings that drape down on each side of the windows and doors. Dental work graces the roof line. One small converted side porch has apparently used some of the original barge work.
The Hunter house has seen many uses besides a single family dwelling. By 1840 William T. Hunter with the help of several interested parties, platted the land which is now known as Huntertown. Mr. Hunter was considered an active citizen of this area. He died in 1887.
Below is a copy of the “First Addition to Huntertown.” According to the most recent abstract (July 20, 1977) the Hunter house is located on Lot 73 and East ˝ Lot 74 and Vacant Street of First Addition to Huntertown.
This house is presently owned and occupied by THOMAS BADDERS and family.
The Griswold-Phelps handbook and guide to Fort Wayne, Indiana, 1913-1914
Compiled by B. J. Griswold
Organization of Allen County, Page 391
ALLEN COUNTY IN WAR TIMES - Though all scenes of warfare at or near the site of Fort Wayne ceased with the war of 1812, the people who settled this region and their descendants were to become familiarized again with military affairs, witness the pomp of martial array and feel the bereavements with which war is inevitably associated. Less than 30 years after the soldiers had been withdrawn from the old fort, the declaration of war with Mexico occurred, and at the first call for troops, two full companies started on the canal to the east, June 1, 1846, followed to the lower lock, five miles from town, by a long procession of parents and friends, and went by way of the Miami canal to Cincinnati, thence to New Albany.
There they were mustered in June 20, 1846 as companies of the First Indiana Mexican volunteers, under Col. JAMES P. DRAKE, and served on guard duty near the mouth of the Rio Grande, but though doing much tiresome marching in a mountainous country, saw no fighting.
The commissioned officers of these companies were:
Company F: Captain DAVID W. LEWIS; First Lieutenant, BRAD B. STEVENS; Second Lieutenants, SAMUEL H. CHAPMAN and WILLIAM HUNTER.
Company E or “Mad Anthony Guards”: Captain CHARLES COLERICK, GEORGE HUMPHREY.
These companies returned home in 1847, and on second call, another company K, Fifth Regiment, under Col. LANE, and was mustered out July 28, 1848, after doing guard duty on the frontier.
LEWIS C. HUNTER
Upper Maumee Valley -- Organization of Allen County, Pages 403-404
That part of the duties of the county administration assigned to the offices of the auditor and treasurer, require in a considerable degree the services of a skillful accountant, and by reason of his acquirements in this direction, LEWIS C. HUNTER has given valuable service both as a deputy auditor, which position he held 2 years, beginning in 1883, and as deputy treasurer, at which he has acted since 1885. MR. HUNTER received a common school education in his native township of Perry, and for 11 years succeeding his 21st year he served the Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad Company as telegraph operator and agent. He is the inventor of Hunter’s Improved Farm Gate, a contrivance, which was patented May 18, 1886, and a second granted him on an improvement October 23, 1886.
October 1 he married to CORA ANDREWS, who was born this county in 1863, and they have 2 children: STELLA MAY and WILLIAM T.
WILLIAM T. HUNTER, a prominent early settler, who was born in Cumberland, England, on April 9, 1802. Immigrating, he landed at Boston, August 12, 1828, and two years later he returned to England from New York, but returned in 1833, with a party of countrymen. The next year he removed to Ann Arbor, Michigan, and 2 years later married MRS. JANE BUCKINGHAM and moved to St. Joseph county, Michigan.
In 1837 he came to Perry township, then mainly woods, and began clearing a farm. Shortly afterward he established a hotel, and was successful. At the time there were bands of horse thieves and counterfeiters, he did valuable service as a member of the Regulators. Three years, beginning 1852, he was an aspiring and honorable citizen, and will always be remembered in authority of the county. He died in January, 1887. His wife was the daughter of ROBERT and MARGARET RANNEY, of Sheffield, Mass. She was born on November 24, 1815. She married in Monroe county in 1833 to JOHN BUCKINGHAM, who died in 1835. She passed away November 1886. There were 7 children born to WILLIAM T. HUNTER and wife, of whom 6 are living, LEWIS C. being the youngest.