Huntertown Folk Inclined to Doubt Truth of Boyd Coatsí Thriller




Sheriff Advised There is Nothing Demanding His Official Notice


Upon advice from Huntertown Sheriff, A. M. REICHELDERFER is not making any investigation of a story told by BOYD COATS, station agent and telegraph operator for the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad company, who reported that he had been bound and gagged by two robbers who were foiled in their attempts to steal the companyís money and the agentís watch by the fact that while he was struggling with them he threw the timepiece and the roll of bills in a waste paper basket. 


The sheriff was advised of the occurrence last night and later offered to send a couple of his deputies up, but a citizen who had looked into the matter carefully told him he didnít think there were then or had been any robbers in the vicinity.


Story is a Thriller


Coatís story is a thriller and of the yellow-back variety and all through it he is prominent in the role of boy hero.  He stated that as he descended the ladder from fixing the signal lights at the station and entered the office he was seized by two burly men who wore neither masks or any other disguises but who backed him into a corner and finally succeeded in throwing him to the floor, but not until he had thrown about $12 of the companyís money into a waste basket along with his watch.


Next we find our hero lying bound upon the floor and the only real element needed was a fair heroine bound to the tracks in front of an approaching train, but he didnít have any fair heroine handy so he had to work out all the details alone. 


With mighty effort he rolled himself across the floor, managed to reach the table on which his telegraph instrument was located, struggled to his feet and flashed a message to Fort Wayne.  His hands were bound behind him and he had to back up to the key and click off the message with his back to the desk, which is one of the favorite tricks of all the boy heroes that learned telegraphy before they got regular hero jobs.


From the office here a message was sent to Huntertown and a rescue party sent to the aid of young Coats, who, by the way, is only 20 years old, and he was found tied up with some cords that had been picked up about the office.  His feet were also tied up and he had been gagged with a piece of black cloth that he kept in a drawer hidden securely away.


Very careless of the robbers not to carry their own cords and cloths because all of the railroad offices donít have them around handy.  Further investigations were made today by citizens of Huntertown and one of them stated over the telephone to THE SENTINEL that he had taken the story from the outset with a grain of salt and that he had stopped any further inquiry into the matter.


Railroad officials here have been making some investigations, but they have nothing more than the unsupported story of the boy as nobody saw any robbers or any suspicious characters around the station.  Coats said among other things that one of the robbers kept jabbing him with his knife and cut his coat and pricked his flesh a little, but the wounds are not serious.  He adhered to his story as he told it at first.