Army- Medical    Technical Sgt


1943-1946    Combat




Military Honors and Awards:

Good Conduct Medal

American Campaign Medal

Asiatic-Pacific Medal – 2 Bronze


WWII Victory Medal

Philippine Liberation Medal

Honorable Service Lapel Button



At Fort Dix, Camp Grant, Fort Ord;  island hopped from New Caledonia, New Hebrides, New Zealand, New Guinea to the Phillipines with the 43rd Infantry and the 1st Cavalry Divisions.  






In August of 1942, I was sent to the induction center in Buffalo, New York.   It was discovered that I had a bilateral inguinal hernia which I had repaired during Christmas break from college.   Both of my two older brothers were in the Pacific and begged me to remain on 4F status, but I am thankful I made the correct decision.   In August of 1943 I was finally accepted by the Army.   (I am color blind, so the Navy would not accept me.)


After being assigned to the Medical Corp I was sent to Camp Grant, Illinois for basic training.   From Camp Stoneman, California, I was sent to New Caledonia for special assignment.   I was sent to New Hebrides to join the 402 Malarial Survey Unit where I was trained to diagnose malaria through blood tests.    We also set up an insectaria  to test mosquito repellent for the United States Department of Agriculture.   Since I am not allergic to mosquito bites I served as “guinea pig” to test the repellent formulas.   The 612th formula was our recommendation and was known as “six-twelve.”


From the New Hebrides our unit was sent to New Zealand to stage with the 43rd Infantry Division in their medical unit.   We went by convoy to New Guinea and enroute we were torpedoed by a Japanese sub.   Our ship hit the destroyed ship but had to keep on to Efate, New Guinea.   When I got my mail 3 months later, I learned that my Grandpa Gerould had died.   There we set up camp next to the field hospital.  


From New Guinea, we were attached to the First Cavalry and were sent to the Philippine Islands.   The Japanese had warned us that if the U. S. made a landing in the Philippines, they would slaughter all the prisoners in St. Thomas University that they used as a prison camp.   The First Cavalry made a mad dash to Manila without firing a shot.   I was the first medic to enter the prison camp and the first prisoner I met was Dr. Zimmerman.   We struck up an acquaintance and several years later I saw him at a meeting in Chicago.   He said he had never forgotten my face as it was the first American he had seen in several years.  


After the war, our unit was assigned to the Manila Department of Health to work with venereal diseases in our Army and Navy personnel.   I was promoted to Technical Sergeant.  


During my years in the service I was privileged to earn the Good Conduct Medal,  American Campaign Medal,  Asiatic-Pacific Medal, two Bronze Stars, WWII Victory Medal,  Philippine Liberation Medal, and Honorable Service Lapel Button WWII.  


I still keep in touch with my two commanding officers even after 56 years.   I have never regretted my years in the armed services of our country.   It was an honor and a privilege to serve my country that has done so much for me and my family.