ST. MICHAELíS CHURCH (PIERRE SETTLEMENT) AND CEMETERY

 

St. Michaelís Cemetery is located presently behind the Calvary Baptist Church at the corner of Hazlett and St. Joe Center Road, on the southeast corner of the intersection.   There are 17 marked graves and one unreadable stone presently identified and they all lie adjacent to the playground behind the church.   The headstones all lie flat and were probably once upright stone markers and the grass is mowed as a part of the playground.   It is not a maintained cemetery, and is in a dangerous situation of being lost if the headstones are moved or in any way misplaced.   This may already have taken place for some of the entombments.

 

Details of the history of this St. Michaelís parish, also known as the Pierre Settlement, are practically non-existent.  It was built on land deeded to the Diocese in 1874 and was never a resident parish.   It was a mission attended parish probably from Leo and later from St. Vincentís Church (Auburn Road), being attended 4 times a year.  Fr. M. J. BYRNE attended both Leo and the Pierre Settlement for a short time while resident at the Cathedral in Fort Wayne.   Services were apparently discontinued by 1913 when furnishings were donated to the new St. Josephís Church (Taylor Street), Fort Wayne, predecessor to the present St. Josephís Church.   The building stood for a number of years more and was finally torn down.   In 1936 the land, except for the cemetery land, was deeded back to the heirs of the original grantors. 

 

The existing cemetery is laid behind the original St. Michaelís church, cared for by the PIERRE family who are now buried there.   Burial records have been found but are incomplete, making it difficult to account for all possible persons buried in this cemetery.   Those persons whose headstones are present and readable are listed below.                    

 

Presently, the cemetery is not in danger of being destroyed except by vandals, but it has no perimeter outline by fence or any other marking to identify it.   It seems to be at the mercy of the owners of the property and any legal and human concern for its future safety and preservation, not to mention its upkeep.

 

Those 17 persons with readable headstones in the St. Michaelís Cemetery are:

 

Name

Birth date

Death date

Frank DuPont

 

1873

Peter Rothman

 

1894

Mary Rothman

 

1894

Cathirena Pierre

 

1891

John Pierre

1836

1901

Lorinda Buhr

 

1880

Mary Valdinaire

1811

1888

John B. Bobay

 

1910

Tracy Roy

 

1873

Sophia J. Sarrazin

1885

1903

John P. Bobay

 

1901

Raymond Kaliker

1898

1901

Julie Bobay

 

1892

Victor G. Bobay

 

1896

August Sarrazine

1838

1896

Louisa M. J. Sarrazine

 

1898

Iva M. Shuler

 

1874

 

This history is prepared by the Knights of Columbus, Council #11353, St. Vincentís Church by James M. Cox, Trustee, in May, 1995, in preparation for the sesquicentennial celebration of St. Vincentís Church in 1996.