ST. LEO CEMETERY

 

(Two other cemeteries have been historically administered to by the priests of St. Vincentís church:   St. Leoís and St. Michaelís cemeteries.)

 

St. Leo Cemetery:   This approximately three quarter acre cemetery is located on Amstutz Road in Leo, Indiana, directly across the street from the Leo High School.   It is marked with a wooden sign and is outlined with a woven wire fence that lacks good repair.   Several large trees cover the terrain and the gravesites are dispersed unevenly over the grounds.  Sixty eight graves are identified and three unreadable headstones.   Those persons buried in this cemetery are given below.  

 

The history of the St. Leo Church shows it was built in Cedar Creek Township, Allen county, Indiana, in 1856.   It was first attended by Fr.             JULIAN BENOIT and other priests from Fort Wayne, followed by Holy Cross fathers, possibly traveling from South Bend, Indiana.   These would have been mission priests.  Father MATTHIAS ZUMBUELTE built the rectory in 1870 for St. Leoís Parish and he was the first resident pastor in 1868 with the following missions attached to Leo:   Waterloo (St. Francis Xavier Church); Auburn and Summit (St. Michaelís Church).   Father Zumbuelte had attended it previously while assistant at Avilla to which it had been attached as a mission for a short time.   There was a resident pastor at Leo until 1878.   From 1878 to 1893 the status fluctuated between being a resident pastorate to being a mission of St. Vincentís Church (Auburn Road).   One pastor was in residence for 8 years Ė Fr. THOMAS VAGNIER, S. S. C. Ė 1880-1888.   From 1893 until it was closed it was a mission of St. Vincentís Church (Auburn Road).  In 1907 it was visited the third Sunday of each month.   As yet we have not located the date when it was closed.   The St. Leo church was sold and stood in Leo until it was destroyed by fire. 

 

St. Leoís Catholic Cemetery was donated by PETER SULLIVAN, a parishioner, in 1863, although a deed was not drawn until 1865.   Peter Sullivanís gravesite, along with his wife, JANE, is prominent in the middle of the cemetery.   Markers record deaths as far back as 1861 although these remains may have been moved to this cemetery later.   The cemetery was not blessed until 1883.   The official location of the cemetery is given historically as ľ mile southwest of Leo and 1/8 mile northeast of Cedarville on the Amstutz Road.   When one looks at its location, these directions are not correct, probably due to differing city limits and plotplans from when the history was originally written.   As noted above, the cemetery lies on the west side of Amstutz Road across the road from Leo High School. 

 

During the period that parish existed it was maintained by the Sullivan family and other parishioners.   After the parish closed, the cemetery became unattended largely, but it appears that someone does mow the grass and attempts to maintain its dignity with a fenced perimeter.   The monuments are beautiful and historical to view Ė certainly worthy of attention and remembrance.  

 

The following is a list of identified headstones in the St. Leoís Cemetery:

 

Name

Birth date

Death date

John E. Snyder

 

1873

Catharine Comeskey

 

1890

James Comeskey

 

1877

Agnes E. Comeskey

1860

1865

Bernard E. Barva

 

1888

Edmond C. Barva

 

1884

Charles H. Barva

 

1883

Louis A. Barva

 

1883

John Kasimier

1841

1922

Emona Kasimier

1845

1885

Marie Schneider

 

1879

?  Schneider

 

1874

Mary Sapp

 

188__?

Peter Sullivan

 

1884

Jane Sullivan

 

1872

Casper Ill

1848

1908

Samuel Durbin

 

1883

Louis Nettelhorst

1826

1903

Mary E. High

1838

1888

Sarah Marshall

1840

1878

Bridget Schaeffer

1843

1870

John Rodgers

1800

1886

Ann Rodgers

1812

1877

Frank Girardot

1836

1870

Francis Girardot

1877

1879

Mary E. Girardot

1877

1878

Charles A. Girardot

1874

1874

Elizabeth Girardot

1872

1872

William Muller

1805

1892

Mary Muller

1815

1899

Victor Muller

1847

1892

Herman Muller

1838

1914

F. J. Muller

1839

1909

Mary Muller

1853

1899

Francis J. Muller

1840

1919

Charles Boley

1891

1905

James Fitzgearld

 

1893

Mary Bickel

 

1882

Francis Viberg

1862

1878

Ralph Hosler

1893

1932

Frank Hosler

1853

1924

Lizzie Ohneck

1855

1919

George Hosler

1880

1889

Esther Hosler

1885

1889

Francis E. Wise

 

1923

Ralph V. Wise

 

1927

Charles E. Wise

 

1936

Fred J. Wise

1874

1943

Agnes M. Wise

1891

1960

Frances Miller

1860

1896

Englebert Miller

1855

1897

Edward Fitzgearld

1876

1897

Mary A. Fitzgearld

 

1888

John Fitzgearld

 

1848

Catharine Schorr

 

1871

Michael Schorr

1801

1874

Flourencee Leininger

 

1875

Susanne Leininger

 

1875

Stephen McKenzie

 

1883

Mary McKenzie

 

1881

Sarah McKensie

 

1886

Stephen McKenzie

 

1881

Jacob Blubaugh

 

1862

Onora Blubaugh

 

1866

Victoria Blubaugh

 

1871

Julia Ann Blubaugh

 

1872

Rebecca Blubaugh

 

1872

Jason Blubaugh

 

1880

 

This history is prepared by the Knights of Columbus, Council #11353, St. Vincentís Church by James M. Cox, Trustee, in May, 1995, in preparation for the sesquicentennial celebration of St. Vincentís Church in 1996.